My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

What to Pocket Carry?

I am conflicted here, and this is why:
Currently there is no self defense weapon in my bug out bag. (Yes I have a bug out bag for emergencies like natural disasters or the house burning down).  This means in the event of a crisis, I would need to remember to grab something from the dresser draw - currently either the Glock 19 or the Sig 1911 in 45ACP.

Chances are I would go with the Glock 19. It's a 9mm weapon with more ammo choices, higher capacity etc. What I think I need is to put the G19 back in the safe and get myself a smaller conceal
carry gun, perhaps then I will carry more often. The purpose is as a last resort 'get the fuck off me' gun. This is not a going to war gun - I already have some of those. So what to get?

The choice is going to be set by the following:

    1. Caliber
    2. Auto or revolver
    3. size

First let's look at caliber.
I'm a believer in not worrying too much about caliber. For a small pistol I think a smaller caliber gives greater capacity and easier follow up shots, so I am not going to get hung up on caliber. With that said, it is unlikely that I will go with 22LR as much as I like my .22LR Walther PPK/s,. It has 10 round capacity but 22lr self defense rounds are usually too small and too slow to expand on impact and in some circumstances can be stopped with thick heavy clothing. So what does that leave me with?

• .32
• .380
• 9mm

Auto or revolver?
Auto because I don't do revolvers well. That was easy.

Size
This is where it gets tricky. I think I want a sub compact of some sort. Something like the small Kel-Tec PF9 or even the 380/32 might be about the right size. I can carry it in a pocket holster and I am more likely to carry that way I think.
So what options do I have:

Compact 9mm
  • Glock 26
  • S&W M&P Shield
  • Kahr CM9 ($380)
  • Beretta nano ($400)

What are the costs?

.32ACP
  • KT P32              ($ 240)
  • NAA Guardian  ($ 400)
  • beretta 3032      ($ 450) not available
  • LWS .32            ($ 550) not available


.380 ACP
  • Ruger LCP            ($ 360)
  • Bersa 380              ($ 280)
  • KT P3AT               ($ 260)
  • S&W Bodyguard  ($ 360)
  • RM380                  ($ 350)
  • SIG P238              ($ 630)

9mm
  • Ruger LC9 ($ 360)
  • KT PF9      ($ 260)
  • KT P11      ($ 243)
  • Kahr P3     ($ 650)

Conclusion
At this time there are limited options available as these seems to have been a run on these small guns so I have a limited choice. That choice seems to be:
  • Kel Tek P32
  • Ruger LCP
  • Bersa 380
I have owned a Bersa in the past and it was ok. The 32 seems like it might be a little too small, so I think I am going with the Ruger LCP in 380ACP.

No comments:

Post a Comment