My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

iPad OS 14 is here

I took the plunge and updated my iPad to IOS14, and so far I have been very underwhelmed.  These are my thoughts on the new version of iPadOS.  According to articles out on the internet, there are 14-25 major changes to iPad OS and over 100 smaller changes. Out of all of those changes, these are the ones that I have actually made any of use of or noticed.

Widgets
These got a lot more complicated and unnecessary.  I really don't use them that much, so I just don't care. The only thing I noticed was that it took me a little longer to get them set back up the way I had them before. 


Change Default Programs
This I do use. Safari is a piece of junk and currently I use Edge so I found this useful.


New and Redesigned Sidebars
I like the idea of the sidebar, but (especially in Photos) I don't like the fixed categories at the top of the sidebar. They do absolutely nothing for me except get in my way. It is the same for the Media types and shared albums but at least those can be collapsed.  They need to allow the removal or collapse of the default side bar menu items. 

These fuckers I do not need. Ever.

Updated Shortcuts App
I have struggled to find anything worth doing with the short cuts. Is it me, or is that mostly crap. What I did notice was the folders which might be useful as I now have three i-devices, but frankly I really can't find anything helpful that the shortcuts do.  I have the same issue with my IFTTT account also.  Great idea in principal, but execution sucks ass. 


A lot of the other improvements and upgrades are introducing the sort of functionality is aught to have had anyway, so in many ways, the OS upgrade is simply keeping pace with everything else out there. Not really anything to write home about IMHO.

Frankly I think this was a missed opportunity.  I would like to see a better way of organizing apps and no I don’t need the App Library or drawer or what ever they are calling it.  I have that now on my phone and I find it more of a pain than anything else.  Maybe also put some effort into bringing the file system and file management into the 21st century.

And that's it. Out of all the changes made, these are the only one's that have actually had an impact on me. I wonder what drives these changes because most, from what I have been able to read about appear to be quite trivial and yet this iPadOS14 was billed as a major change. Makes you wonder. Now if only they had created a decent file system ...

No comments:

Post a Comment