My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Day One and the Human Syslog

So for a while now I have been trying to figure out how to make a sort of syslog for humans.  The theory goes like this:

We do things in our lives that we may (if we are OCD like I am) want to keep track of. Things like doctor visits, life events, emails to people, social media posts and so on. 

Some people are good at this journal thing and can quite easily keep a diary or journal of the things they need to remember, but I am not one of them.


However I figured out that a lot of this information can (and should) be able to be imported into a Syslog, automatically.  If this is the case, then the volume of manual input journal items becomes less, and thus less of a chore.


My wife uses an app called Day One, and recommended it as it does have some simple hooks into other applications.  So I downloaded it and this is what I have created so far. 


I paid for the premium version of the app so that I have the ability to use multiple journals and the various input methods.


I have the following journals:


  • All Entries - this is stream showing all your log entries, This is auto created.
  • My Log - this is where I write my own log entries
  • Work log - this is where I write work log entries
  • Physical Health - I log anything to do with my physical health here
  • Mental Health - Currently empty ....
  • Instagram - all my Instagram posts are reposted here
  • Auto Log - this is where all the auto generated content is directed to,

For the manual logs (mine, work, and the health logs) I can create templates to make the job a little easier.  


The Auto log journal accepts inputs from a variety of sources.  All of these currently feed the auto log.

  • Blogger RSS feed - puts a link to any blog post I publish
  • Pocket to Day One - any link I put in pocket is also pushed to the log
  • Google Calendar Import - any even on my specified calendar is pushed to the log
  • Email to auto log - I can cc or bcc emails to the log
This is my first attempt and I suspect I am over complicating the thing. 
Do I really need to have the links to my blog in the feed for instance?  What problem or purpose is that solving?

What I want to do is have a clear visibility into activity that potentially goes back a few years.  In a recent doctor visit I was asked the dates of certain procedures that I have had, and if I had something like this on my phone I could have looked it up,  Of course, I did not have that information when I needed it.

I suspect this will require a lot more noodling but I think I have the right app at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment