My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Bubble and Squeak

This is a post outside of my normal posts but I am putting this out there for a couple of special friends.  As a lover of the potato, one of my favorite meals is bubble and squeak.  In my family, we used to have bubble and squeak (referred to from now on as B&S because I am too lazy too type it out) on boxing day.  It was usually made of the left overs from the Christmas dinner. 

I like to cook B&S occasionally as a treat.  Normally we eat fairly low carb, so we don't eat a lot of potato, but when the urge hits, this is what I cook.

Ingredients

The ingredients are mashed potato and vegetables, and is often served with a side of meat; ham is especially good with B&S, but also left over turkey works or even sausages.
In tonight's B&S we have:
  • Mashed potato
  • onion
  • peas
  • corn
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Zucchini
... however you can use almost any veggies you want.  I have also used carrots, summer squash, cabbage etc.

How to make B&S

First boil some potatoes until they are soft, drain and mash them.  Pre cook the other veggies so they are soft.  Mix it all in a large bowl;  I add salt, pepper, butter and a couple of eggs to bind and season it.  Once mixed, throw it all into a frying pan with a little olive oil.

Here it is in the frying pan.

I cook it for about 6 minutes per side so the potato and veggies start to crisp a little.

Serving the Bubble and Squeak

Tonight we had just the B&S, no meat.  This was because we are taking a trip shortly and this was a way to use up the vegetables in the fridge.  We also used some of the condiments up.  My wife likes to have her B&S with just butter (yes more butter!), but I like to have mine with Branson Pickle, or mustard. I also like to have ketchup too sometimes.

Condiments!

And this is the finished product:
So how about you have a go and make some B&S; its easy to make and delicious.  Let me know how it goes in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment