My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Hey oh Hey

I am mostly an Apple user but I recently spent some time with my parents who have a couple of Amazon Dots. Using the Amazon devices has made me appreciate just saying Alexa and not having to say hey.  Using Siri and constantly having to say hey just feels so unnatural compared to saying Alexa.

"Alexa set a timer for 5 minutes, call it coffee" is what I would say to set the timer for my french press coffee. By the same thing with Siri just feels so unnatural; Hey Siri ....

Its not so bad if you only want one thing but if you have a number of commands, its hey this and hey that. I don't know about you but when I ask a human to do some thing, I don't preface it with hey.  Hey John, do this for me.  Hey john, do that for me.  Do that two or three times and it just sounds rude.  With Alexa, its not so bad, and even with repetition, it does not end up sounding rude. 

The other issue with Siri is that you cannot change this.  For some reason, Apple do not want you, the user to be able to change the name of your personal assistant.  It is stuck at 'Hey Siri' which really is not a name at all.  Most annoying.

Now at this point, someone is going to point out that this has a lot to do with syllables for voice recognition, etc. but I don't care.  Really I don't care about the underlying technology.  Rather than being designed for the technology, this AI should be designed for the USER!  And as far as I can tell, users don't usually start requests with hey.

If it turns out that Siri is too short, which I believe it is being only two syllables; then as much of a pain in the ass as it will be for Apple they either have let us rename Siri (preferred) or rename Siri themselves to something else.  Going forward, that is really the only way if Siri is to maintain a market presence because I suspect people are not going to enjoy hey hey hey all the time.  I don't use Siri through voice commands that much, in part because saying Hey just feels so wrong.  Even so, I still find having to call Siri 'hey Siri' is just too wrong for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment