My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Smoothies

As I am on this mixed drink kick right now I thought I would also have a go at making smoothies.  I like the occasional smoothie but I am not a huge fan of them being milk based.  I know some folks get around this by using almond milk and similar products but for me its all the same.

Last weekend I got a bag of frozen mixed fruit with our groceries.  One of the meals I cooked last week involved orange juice, so I had some of that around as well, but not much else.  So this morning I decided to try making a mixed fruit smoothie with the ingredients that I have.

This is the result:

A mixed Fruit Smoothie
It tasted pretty good, not bad at all for a first attempt, and given the ingredients that I have.  The biggest issue I had is that I made too much - Oh no!

The Recipe

It was pretty simple really.  Take two handfuls of mixed frozen fruit, one cup of orange juice, one cup of water, chuck it all in a food processor and blend with the sharp knife attachment.  If it seems a little stiff, add more OJ and water. That should make enough for two; I made enough for 4 because I wasn't sure how this was going to come out.

Lessons learned

The first thing I learned is that I over estimated the amount of ingredients resulting in way more smoothie than I needed.  Also I think I used too much OJ as it is overpowering the taste of the mixed fruit.  What I might need to do in order to loosen this up a little is use more water and maybe something like peeled cucumber.

Was this a successful test? Yes absolutely.  My wife seems to be enjoying her smoothie and while I am a little critical of the way it came out, it is a refreshing and delicious snack.

So what should I try to make next?

No comments:

Post a Comment