My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Back in the Saddle - 1/4

Part 1: Where do I start?

This is my journey to get me riding a bike again.

I love bikes and the time I spent on a bike is one of my favorite memories. It is very hard to ignore the passion and desire for a bike. I could wax lyrical about the feeling of freedom etc, but that is not what this series of posts is about.  Rather this series of posts is about mental health and friendship. Riding a bike again might also have mental health benefits, as I miss the camaraderie and community associated with group activities like riding, bike meets, and other group events.

I last rode over 20 years ago and I know my strength and reflexes are not what they used to be. I used to ride sports bikes but I think now I should ride something a little more sedate. My days of doing 100+mph are definitely best left in the past. 

Here I am sometime in the mid 90s

When I moved from the UK to the US to live, I had to take a driving test in order to get a US drivers license.  What I didn't do, was also take my bike test, (I should have done that) so I do need to take my test.  Many people have told me I can purchase a bike without a license but what you can't do it take a test ride without one!

So what do I need to do in order to get back on a bike?

  • buy my riding gear; helmet, boots, gloves and a jacket
  • take my bike test
  • chose and purchase a bike.

So what are my requirements for a bike?

I do not want to spend too much money, but at the same time I don't want a piece of junk, and as previously mentioned, not a sport bike. A good compromise for me would be a dual sport or adventure bike, probably with a mid size motor as I don't plan on riding long distance, this is more for running about town and short trips.

So the first thing I need to do is arrange my motorcycle training and testing, and to accomplish this I have opted to go with a two day rider training course.

No comments:

Post a Comment