My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Back in the Saddle - 4/4

Clutching my new motorcycle endorsement in my hand, it was time to go and purchase a bike.  But what to buy? There are so many choices! 

Over the past few months I have spent time in most of the local bike dealers in the Northern Colorado area, sitting on bikes and considering what to get.  I did briefly consider another sport bike as that is what I am most familiar with but having completed the bike training, I know my reactions and eyesight are not what they used to be, so lets leave the sport bikes in the past where they belong.

I did look at cruisers, especially the Kawasaki Vulcan 650 and the Indian Scouts.  I also took a look at some of the triumphs and BMWs. Very nice all of them.  But the conclusion I came to was this; in my first year of riding I will just be getting back into it, relearning and honing skills I had let atrophy.  Therefore the ideal solution seemed to be a mid capacity adventure bike.  

The choice for me came down to either the BMW G310GS or the Kawasaki Versys-x 300. Both excellent bikes and I was lucky enough to ride both almost back to back.  

And this is what I chose

So my choice was the Kawasaki Versys-X 300.  It is a 300cc twin but it's the right height for me, light, maneuverable and as you can see shiny and new.  At the time of writing I have owned it less than one week and so have put a grand total of 5 miles on it which is the distance from the local bike shop to home.

Yeah its all shiny!

I had fun riding it home, but since then, work and the weather have got in the way of riding, but this coming weekend looks like I might have some opportunity for saddle time. lets hope that works out. 

As a footnote, anyone who has owned a bike knows they tend to multiply after a while. I think next year a BMW R nine T is a possibility to add to the collection. Time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment