My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Up into the Mountains.

Today is memorial day so I get the day off.  After a ride out on the wife's trike for breakfast, I decided to go on a solo ride to add some miles to the Versys-X in order to get it broken in.  I live in northern Colorado and I had noticed some twisty roads near where I live so I figured I would explore them.

Now at the moment I do not have a mount for my phone (I have a Quad lock on order) so I figured out my route using Google maps and off I went.  Of course my memory failed me and I ended up going down roads I had no intention of going down, and missing the roads I was supposed to take.

This ended up with me heading up in elevation as I headed into the mountains, on my way to Nederland, which is sort of out there.  It got a bit cold up in the mountains; as I increased in elevation the temperature dropped. I felt it because I was wearing my summer jacket, which was certainly suitable for my starting location, but was a little breezy for the higher elevations.

The route I took, not the one I planned

Despite taking the wrong route, I had an excellent ride.  The Versys behaved very well, but being in its break in period I did not let the revs get any higher than about 7500rpm peak and 6000rpm continuous.  The bike seemed to be quite happy at these rpms. It really does have some pep when you give it some throttle so I am looking forward to getting out of the break in period.

The view

One advantage of taking the wrong road was of course the views.  Being so close to the mountains and seeing these views as I trundled along was amazing.  And the roads, despite the car traffic were still fun and twisty.  Because this is a new bike, a new bike to me and still in its break in period, I am still in that phase where I am getting to trust the bike. New tires and twisty roads had me a little nervous but after me and the tires got nicely warmed up, we were off to the races.

The overall ride was about an hour and a half and put me at about 55 miles, so the bike is now at about 150 miles.  Just another 450 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment