My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Versys-X Upgrades

Now that I have ridden the Versys-x 300 a few times, in my quest to get it run in, there are some changes I might like to make.  The Kawasaki Versys-X 300 is an adventure bike, meaning it is a road bike but can also be taken off road; at least to a limited extent.

Some of these changes are driven by the ride and some by what I want to do later in the year.

Road Riding

The first thing I should add is a taller screen. On my ride this evening (2023.05.21) I noticed considerable wind noise above ~45mph. Ducking down behind the small windshield reduced the noise considerably, so I guess I need to get a slightly larger screen.

Puig Touring Windscreen Kawasaki Versys 300

Frankly that is probably all I would change about the bike itself for road use, but I also want to do some basic adventure riding, and that means adding some more parts to the bike.

Off Road Riding

I am not planning anything fancy here but I do now own an Adventure bike so I should take myself on some off-road adventures.  Maybe some logging trails or some dirt/gravel roads.  There are a few around here and I should give them a try.  So what should I add to the bike for this?

Hand Guards

There are a variety of hand guards available but I think I will get the kawasaki hand guards.

Versys®-X 300 ABS Hand Guard Shell Set

Add a Skid Plate & Engine Bars

Some of the gravel roads might have bigger bits of gravel and we don’t want the exhaust to be damaged.

2017 - 2023 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Skid Plate

Add a Tool kit.

I will need to carry a tool kit and at the moment all I can think that I will need are 8, 10 & 12 mm spanners and a screwdriver.  Might also need a spare spark plug, and maybe a tire changing/repair kit.

Replace the Tires?

The bike came with Trail Winner 100/90-19 M/C on the front and 130/80-17M/C on the back.  These are 70/30 on/off road tires so most likely perfect for what I need.  At this time I see no need to replace them. 

And I think that is all I need to do to the bike to improve my on road experience and help it survive some off road riding.  As I make these changes I will detail each change with a blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment