My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Home Automation - Bedside Lamp

I like home automation.  I feel that repetitive tasks can and should be automated where ever possible. It saves one from the drudgery of the mundane and allows you to focus on what is important.  Now of course, turning on and off lights is not hard, but I do like my bedside light to turn on when it gets dark so that I am not walking into a dark room.

I have a Gosund (now GHome) smart socket that I got from Amazon, for controlling my bedside lamp. Using the Gosund app, I set up a schedule so that it turns on every day at about sunset.  It then turns off at about 10, however the minor inconvenience for me is turning it off manually.  In order to do that, I need to open the app, and turn it off that way.

The Gosund App

What I need is a way to turn off the lamp without having to open the app, select the correct smartplug and manually turn it off.  I wondered about using a wifi smart switch but that all seems a little silly just to turn off a lamp.  Might as well do the whole thing manually.

I use an iPhone and iPhones have the ability to interpret a double or triple tap on the back of the phone. Perhaps I can do that?  I usually put my phone on my bedside table face down so that would work.


Siri Shortcuts

In the Gosund app I created a rule for toggling the lamp status; On or Off. In the app you can also publish these rules to Siri, so it can be used in shortcuts. Once you have the shortcut set up, 

Settings

Settings > Accessibility

Settings > Accessibility > Back Tap

Settings > Accessibility > Back Tap >Double Tap

Once this configuration was completed, a quick double tap to the back of the phone did indeed turn the lamp on and off. This is perfect for what I need now.

No comments:

Post a Comment