My Personal Interests

My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to the right...

Gerber Zippers

I have three of these now. I have no idea how that happened, but here they are (see below). The idea is that these can be added to a zip pull as an easy way of carrying a backup blade, driver or light. So how do they hold up?

Light, Drive and Blade

Gerber Zip Blade

I actually really like this little blade. it’s pretty small but it is sharp out of the box and it even locks, which is a nice safety feature. I have no issue with cutting paper, matchsticks etc with it and it can open a blister pack or Amazon box so it works.  As a survival knife its too small but better than using your teeth, and its not too ungainly that it can’t be attached to a zipper pull.

Gerber Zip Driver

The driver on the other hand is not something I would use as a zipper pull. I like the idea of it but it is ungainly and I would not want to put this on a zip pull.  It has a tendency to poke you at all the wrong times, however the driver does work. Like the blade, it is very functional and can be used, but there are other formats of driver that I think make more sense, 

Gerber Zip Light

The light is I think the best of the three in terms of utility. The light is just a press to operate LED light, but it also has a bottle opener and that is what makes this useful. Having this on a jacket zipper pull means you always have a light and can open a beer when sat around the camp fire. perfect.

Conclusion.

I doubt I am going to use these that much, and I doubt I will use the driver at all. However I can say that all three are well made; the light and the blade are well thought out, just not so much where the driver is concerned so as Meatloaf once said; “two out of three ain’t bad”.

No comments:

Post a Comment