My Personal Interests

Topics My personal interests are many and varied.  In this section of my web site I describe and document them.  Please use the labels to th...

I have leveled up!

I had always planned to upgrade from the Kawasaki Versys-x 300, but I was planning on that early next year.  However ... I feel like I have outgrown the Kawasaki.  The little 300cc engine is great around town but, I have done some longer trips recently and I have found having to rev it so hard to be tiring to ride.

I spent some time cogitating on what to get next. I wanted something bigger, sportier, and capable of long runs, but would be relaxing to ride, but also not a cruiser. I boiled it down to four bikes; The Indian FTR, The Triumph 1200 Scrambler XC, Moto Guzzi V85TT and the BMW RNineT Urban G/S.

I took all four out for test rides courtesy of my local dealers and honestly I loved all four of them, but I had to pick one.
Moto Guzzi V85TT

The Moto Guzzi is a great bike full of character and is plenty of bike for what I want. It would be great for a long run and fine for a little off road where necessary.  it also has luggage capacity for when I feel like a multi day trip.  However it is an 850cc V twin with about 80hp.  Next year it is (if the rumors are correct), a new version is coming out with a larger water cooled engine and I think I would rather wait for that one.

Indian FTR 1200

The Indian FTR was an absolute blast and definitely bought out the hooligan in me so that was a no go.  I also eliminated the FTR as I am not sure it's all that comfortable for a long run. 

BMW RnineT Urban GS

The BMW Urban GS has both modern and retro elements to its look and feel, and is a fantastic bike to ride. The only issue I had with it was the price tag because of all the option 719 add ones, however all the add ones ad to the look making it something very special.

THe last bike was the Triumph scrambler 1200xc.  I chose the XC version and not the xe as the XC has a lower seat height which fit me better.  I liked it but really wanted it in the green color and there was not one locally to be had, so I opted in the end and after an agonizing decision for the BMW.

... and here it is!
The bike is amazing. I had a 50+ mile ride home with it and it was a blast on both the highway and the backroads.  The chunky tires are going to be great on some of the hard packed dirt roads around here, but I have to admit that on the highway they don't handle as well as proper road tire would.  Still fun though.

I am looking forward to putting some miles on the BMW before winter, and I might see if I can get a few long rides on the bike just to see how comfortable it is.  It seems ok so far, but it does have quite the sporty seating position; not full on sport bike, but not upright either. I wonder how that will feel after a couple of hundred miles?  Only one way to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment